I got up early, at 3.00a.m. probably to the surprise of my alarm clock which never ever had the privilege of my prompt attention. Anyway, it did surprise my wife who just managed to shift her quilt only enough for me to acknowledge her expression of bewilderment coupled with sarcasm, for having got up for once without putting the alarm on the snoozer. “You wouldn’t have done it some other time, I am sure....but of course today it had to be different,” she murmured before turning her head around, subtly warning me against any favors of tea or any wakeup drink that I could expect. ‘What attitude'..... I thought.
Yes today was indeed different. Rohan, my childhood friend was to come from abroad and we were to catch up after 20 years. He had threatened not to meet me if I failed to receive him at the airport. I was surely not going to risk that, though I was sure of him kidding about it as much as I was, about the love that made him say so. I was eagerly waiting and the moment I saw him, I simply rushed ahead to greet him. There he was; a not so happening person to look at, yet a grin which was always naughty, exuding an all knowing aura that was his trademark. He too dashed towards me, quickly pushing the luggage trolley with two kids rolled around and a dainty looking lady who was obviously his wife.
As I extended my hands in a scurry to hug him I suddenly felt some weight on both the shoulders of my extended hands, only to find two huge handbags making there affectionate presence felt. “Hey man….you made it! Am I not happy to see you” were the words with which he complimented my loaded shoulders with a suitcase each now in my hands too. Then sort off in a gesture of extreme closeness he came close and whispered, “Dear please for old time sake just bear up with me. I could really call no one who would be keen to receive me at this hour………till finally I remembered you.” This was the last blow with which he nailed the coffin of my nostalgia. I had become a hanger carrying the burden of dependability on one shoulder and that of my friend’s demeaning demeanor on the other. As I chauffeured him thro the roads of the city and lanes of our memories, I could see that he was attitude personified.
In the working day that came to my rescue I settled down in my cabin glancing thro the list of appointments. Amazingly today I was relieved to feel the monotonous importance of being the Lion of my Den which normally I hated. My assistant greeted me in her usual cheerful fashion awaiting my buoyant reply. But today I had fractioned it to half a smile…..that too with a tinge of unwilling grace. One name, rather surname on the list caught my attention. One Mr. Sharma was listed as the last patient there. It vaguely reminded me of my friend’s surname, finding it to be coincidentally the same.
As I put my Coat and crossed the reception towards the operatory, I could sense someone getting up from the waiting chair to catch my attention. As never ever before in my life, I simply ignored and reaching the door of the operatory opened it to get in. By now from my cabin I could clearly see Mr Rohan Sharma sitting with his father in the waiting hall. I ceremoniously invited him in the main operatory though other patients were lined up in the other cabins for their procedures. His eyes moved around the neatly interiored Center, more out of awe than appreciation. I could see his body language curling into one of embarrassment, perhaps reminding him of his demeaning behavior earlier in the day.
Worse was still to come. He reported that he needed Dental treatment for his father who was still sitting in the waiting room. The hitch was that he wasn't sure whether he could afford my charges. I assured him that being a friend he shouldn’t be worrying about that. For the second time in the day however, I felt something piercing me.
This time though, its pain was evident on the face of my friend and my face shone with an unexpressed yet subtle…….. Attitude ?
Yes today was indeed different. Rohan, my childhood friend was to come from abroad and we were to catch up after 20 years. He had threatened not to meet me if I failed to receive him at the airport. I was surely not going to risk that, though I was sure of him kidding about it as much as I was, about the love that made him say so. I was eagerly waiting and the moment I saw him, I simply rushed ahead to greet him. There he was; a not so happening person to look at, yet a grin which was always naughty, exuding an all knowing aura that was his trademark. He too dashed towards me, quickly pushing the luggage trolley with two kids rolled around and a dainty looking lady who was obviously his wife.
As I extended my hands in a scurry to hug him I suddenly felt some weight on both the shoulders of my extended hands, only to find two huge handbags making there affectionate presence felt. “Hey man….you made it! Am I not happy to see you” were the words with which he complimented my loaded shoulders with a suitcase each now in my hands too. Then sort off in a gesture of extreme closeness he came close and whispered, “Dear please for old time sake just bear up with me. I could really call no one who would be keen to receive me at this hour………till finally I remembered you.” This was the last blow with which he nailed the coffin of my nostalgia. I had become a hanger carrying the burden of dependability on one shoulder and that of my friend’s demeaning demeanor on the other. As I chauffeured him thro the roads of the city and lanes of our memories, I could see that he was attitude personified.
In the working day that came to my rescue I settled down in my cabin glancing thro the list of appointments. Amazingly today I was relieved to feel the monotonous importance of being the Lion of my Den which normally I hated. My assistant greeted me in her usual cheerful fashion awaiting my buoyant reply. But today I had fractioned it to half a smile…..that too with a tinge of unwilling grace. One name, rather surname on the list caught my attention. One Mr. Sharma was listed as the last patient there. It vaguely reminded me of my friend’s surname, finding it to be coincidentally the same.
As I put my Coat and crossed the reception towards the operatory, I could sense someone getting up from the waiting chair to catch my attention. As never ever before in my life, I simply ignored and reaching the door of the operatory opened it to get in. By now from my cabin I could clearly see Mr Rohan Sharma sitting with his father in the waiting hall. I ceremoniously invited him in the main operatory though other patients were lined up in the other cabins for their procedures. His eyes moved around the neatly interiored Center, more out of awe than appreciation. I could see his body language curling into one of embarrassment, perhaps reminding him of his demeaning behavior earlier in the day.
Worse was still to come. He reported that he needed Dental treatment for his father who was still sitting in the waiting room. The hitch was that he wasn't sure whether he could afford my charges. I assured him that being a friend he shouldn’t be worrying about that. For the second time in the day however, I felt something piercing me.
This time though, its pain was evident on the face of my friend and my face shone with an unexpressed yet subtle…….. Attitude ?
No comments:
Post a Comment